06 August 2007

Electric shock

One of my desktops would suddenly reboot and take many tries to reboot. The boot process would start and suddenly restart, if I let it be, it would reboot after a few restarts. After that it would be OK for few minutes to few hours and again restart. Was debugging this and was advised to swap SMPS from another machine, as that was the suspect and indeed it was the culprit. This exercise was tiring...

At end I was cleaning up, my laptop was plugged in to the extension/spike buster. The laptop has an US plug, so I was using an adapter, which converts the US plug into Indian plug. When I tried to unplug, the adapter opened up. I was eager to see of it could be put back together, I turned of the switch of the plug point feeding the spike buster, (did not remove the spike buster wire from socket) and tried to pull the remains of the adapter, all metal, I got a strong shock that dazed me for a few seconds! I was on squatting on bare floor, and had used only my right hand, my right arm got the shock.

I was amazed, as I had turned the switch off. I tested with a tester and found that the plug point was live even when the switch was turned off. This was not expected, I tried other plug points in my home and all were in the same state! I realized that it could have happened when I replaced my UPS with an Inverter, the installation engineers could have swapped the phase. I checked with my electrician, and he said it could be that or at times the KEB too reverses phase during repairs. I have to reverse the phase and see of all is OK.

==
Quite unnerving, did some surfing and realized that if the current passes thru the heart, it can be quite grave.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home