26 November 2014

Mobile App for Car Servicing...

I gave my Hyundai car for the first paid servicing last Friday, the 21st of November. One difference I noticed was that the service advisor took me to computer screen and looked up details of my car servicing. Using that he provided me the list of the work to be done and the approximate costs. He told what all needs to be done, including scheduled changes of consumables (oil, coolant) and parts (spark plugs). In the past they would give a list, and would confirm over a call later, after looking up the info in their computers. At times a spark plug change would be needed as per schedule, but it could have been done in an earlier visit.

In the evening when I went to collect my car, I found a small card in the lounge, which advertized an App! It said that one can get their car service info using this app. I remembered that in the past, I could see the details of my car serving online, by logging into the dealer website. I happened to do so accidentally trying to look for a car accessory and it's availability.

I made note and decided to give it a try. I installed this app just now, had to register giving my phone number and a crazy 17 digit alphanumeric code, called VIN, which it helpfully told me is available in the RC book.

Location of service stations Options of the App
 

And lo behold, I had the app and all details of my car service history. There are quite a few other options - including labor estimates, reminders, locations of service station with directions and time. It also has a trip utility etc, which I am still to explore. It's a bit too much, but that's where we are headed to.

A word of caution, the App seeks far too many permissions, which I accepted, need to review and see if I am OK with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home